|Trouble for Thomas|
Original UK title card
|No. of season:||1|
|No. of epsiode:||6|
|No. of series:||6|
|Producer:|| David Mitton|
Robert D. Cardona
|Writer:|| Reverend W. Awdry (original)|
David Mitton (adapted)
|Narrator:||George Carlin (US)|
|Original air date:|| 23 October 1984 (US)|
5 April 2000 (GER)
3 January 2002 (HUN)
|Previous:||A Big Day for Thomas|
|Next:||Thomas Saves the Day|
Trouble for Thomas is the sixth episode of the first season of the series. Thomas learns why are the cars are troublesome.
Thomas is bored with his job of shunting coaches and complains to the other engines about it night after night. The engines get incredibly annoyed, for they have to listen to Thomas' complaining all night long. One night, Edward comes to the shed and feels sorry for Thomas, then offers him his train of freight cars, while Edward would shunt coaches; with this, Thomas happily agrees.
The next morning, their drivers agree and Thomas sets off happily for the yard. The Freight Cars are very silly and noisy, talk a lot and often don't attend to what they are doing. They also often play tricks on engines who aren't used to them. Edward had warned Thomas to be careful before his journey, but in his excitement, Thomas didn't listen. Thomas soon starts to pull the train, but the freight cars weren't ready. Despite their cries to stop, Thomas just puffs out of the station stubbornly.
Thomas goes faster and faster along the journey, but as he went faster and faster, the cars grew crosser and crosser. Thomas eventually slows down at Gordon's Hill, but as he applies his brakes at the top, the freight cars begin to push Thomas down the hill. Thomas loses control of the cars as they rush into Maron, where he swerves into the goods yard and barely stops at some buffers, preventing an accident. Sir Topham Hatt arrives and questions the speed of Thomas, who explains what had happened. He ends up in trouble, and Sir Topham Hatt advises Thomas that he should learn more about freight cars, if he is to become a Really Useful Engine.
- Thomas (Voiced by Ben Small)
- Edward (Voiced by Keith Wickham)
- Sir Topham Hatt (Voiced by Keith Wickham with an English Yorkshire accent)
- Henry (does not speak)
- Gordon (does not speak)
- James (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from the Railway Series book Thomas the Tank Engine.
- Stock footage from A Big Day for Thomas is used, as is a deleted scene from Edward Helps Out.
- In the part where Thomas pulls the freight cars until he stops, a remix of the original tune is heard.
- This episode marks the first time the phrase "really useful engine," which would become one of the most well-known staples of the franchise, which was said in the series.
- At the beginning of the A Big Day for Thomas of this episode.
- Edward was said to feel sorry for Thomas, but just before, he looked as annoyed as the others.
- At the beginning, because of an alternate shot, Gordon is in the middle of the shed with Thomas and Henry to the left and James and Edward to the right, but in the close-ups, Thomas was in the middle, Gordon and James are on one side, and Edward and Henry are on the other. This appears to be unused footage shot for Edward Helps Out as the engines are all in the same positions. Because of this alternate shot, Edward is smiling while the others are frowning.
- The narrator says that the conductor blew his whistle and a whistle sound was heard, but the guard was only holding a green flag.
- When Thomas comes out of Henry's tunnel, the tracks move.
- When Thomas rushes through Elsbridge, the left-hand track stops dead and a hand can briefly be seen in the upper right-hand corner.
- When Thomas arranges his train, no shunter can be seen.
- One of the freight cars has glue smeared over its face.
- In the close-ups of Thomas pulling a freight car, the rest of the train is missing and the truck was facing backwards instead of forwards.
- When Thomas hits the buffers in the siding, there is a second track because the same freight car close-up is used.
- When Thomas backs out of the siding, his wheels slip and the goods coach jolts.
- Thomas' freight cars constantly change throughout his journey.
- In the original version, the scene of the freight cars bumping Thomas isn't cut properly, so the buffering sound effects are out of sync.
- Henry's Tunnel isn't on the route to Maron.
- When the narrator says, "When he opened his eyes," Thomas' face was slightly crooked and his eyes are wonky.
- When Thomas was first seen shunting, the siding he was on doesn't have buffers at the end.
- James appears briefly, but he wasn't introduced until the next episode.
- In the close-up of Thomas hitting the buffers, the sides of his buffers are black as opposed to red.
- When Thomas comes out of Henry's Tunnel, the track bounces.
- When Thomas is reversing from Maron siding, his wheels were reversing faster than he was. Adding by, when he reverses his wheels are slipping without moving him.
- In a rare picture, the edge of the set can be seen behind Thomas and the Freight Cars.
- Buzz Books – Thomas and the Trucks
- Board Books – Thomas and the Trucks
- Magazine Stories – Thomas and the Trucks/Thomas and the Trucks!
- My Thomas Story Library – Troublesome Trucks (discontinued)
- Engine Adventures – Troublesome Trucks
In Other LanguagesEdit
|Spanish||Thomas en Problemas / Thomas y los vagones||Thomas in Trouble / Thomas and the Wagons|
|Norwegian||Thomas og godsvognene||Thomas and the Trucks|
|Brazilian Portuguese||A Bronca / Problemas para Thomas||The Earful / Trouble for Thomas|
|Danish||Thomas og godsvognene||Thomas and the Freight Wagons|
|Hebrew||(תומס וקרונות המסע (משא||Thomas and the Freight Cars|
|Japanese||トーマスのさいなん||Calamity of Thomas|
|German||Die Güterwagen||The Freight Wagons|
|Welsh||Tomos a'r Tryciau||Thomas and the Trucks|
|Croatian||Tomica i teretni vagoni||Thomas and the Freight Wagons|
|Dutch||Thomas en de goederenwagons||Thomas and the Freight Wagons|
|Italian||Un Trenino Dispettoso||A Spiteful Train|
|Hungarian||Thomas és a teherkocsik||Thomas and the Wagons|
|Slovenian||Tomaž in vagoni||Thomas and the Wagons|
|Polish||Tomek i Wagony||Thomas and the Wagons|
|Finnish||Tuomas-Veturi ja Tavaravaunut||Thomas the Tank Engine and Troublesome Trucks|
|French||Thomas et les camions||Thomas and the Trucks|
|Swedish||Thomas och Godsvagnarna||Thomas and the Freight Wagons|
|Chinese||托马斯和货车厢||Thomas and the Freight Cars|
|Korean||말썽꾸러기 화물차들||The Troublemaker Vans|
|Romanian||Thomas și Vagoanele||Thomas and the Wagons|
|Slovak||Thomas a nákladné vágony||Thomas and the Freight Wagons|
|Russian||Недовольный паровозик||Unhappy with the Train|
|Czech||Tomáš a vagóny||Thomas and the Wagons|
|Serbian||Tomas i teretni vagoni||Thomas and the Freight Wagons|
|Thai||โธมัสถูกลองดี||Thomas Was a Good Try|
Home Media ReleasesEdit